Paid Leave for All
Position Title: Field Director
Reports to: Director
Hours per week (average): 40
Overtime Status: Exempt
Salary range: $100,000-$120,000
Care is care is care: Whether it’s to care for a newborn, a mom who is severely ill, or a spouse or partner battling cancer, being there for family is what matters. No one should lose their job and their financial lifeline when an urgent family matter arises.
About the Paid Leave for All Campaign:
The Paid Leave for All Campaign is a project of the Work Family Strategy Council aimed at winning passage of a national paid family and medical leave policy within the next three years. Our campaign will explicitly center communities most impacted by the lack of paid family and medical leave and is committed to winning a national paid leave plan that is comprehensive of working people’s caregiving needs; provides a meaningful duration of leave and wage-replacement level that makes taking leave affordable for all working people; is sustainably funded without harming other critical programs; and is secure so that workers will not face retaliation for taking or requesting leave.
The campaign is governed by an Executive Committee, comprised of coalition partners including: A Better Balance, Black Women’s Roundtable, Caring Across Generations, Center for American Progress, Center for Law and Social Policy, Center for Economic and Policy Research, Family Values @ Work, Main Street Alliance, MomsRising, National Partnership for Women & Families, and Poder LatinX. This position will report to the Campaign Director.
About the Work Family Strategy Council:
The Work Family Strategy Council grew out of a desire to enable national advocates for work and family policies to do visioning and strategic planning together in a way that is closely linked with grassroots campaigns on the ground. The Council’s objectives are to develop an arc for the work; create goals for the short, medium and long term; identify gaps in existing areas of work; and develop specific, measurable steps to fill those gaps. Members seek to minimize duplication and maximize collaboration, create opportunities for reflection and strategic thinking, and gear our efforts to advancing movement building, policy development, and thought leadership for systemic change.
This position will develop, implement, and manage a national field organizing plan for a new campaign with the goal of advancing support in key states to pass a national, comprehensive paid family and medical leave law. She/he/they will direct and manage strategic field organizing efforts to advance legislative, campaign, and educational objectives. Responsible for overall supervision and management of field teams and operations.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- In coordination with Director and field working group, develop, implement, and manage national strategic organizing plan with the goal of advancing support in key states for a national, comprehensive paid family and medical leave law.
- Oversee implementation of all community outreach activities, volunteer engagement, supporter communications, and state and local coalition development, cultivation, and maintenance.
- Oversee and manage additional field team members; work directly with field specific vendors, contract employees, and volunteers, and supervise related projects.
- Develop measures of success for the grassroots organizing plan and provide regular progress and outcome reports; supervise all field related data management.
- Provide support for team leads as they build state coalitions and develop and implement plans including but not limited to: targeting, campaign strategy, base building, relationship building with key legislative contacts, traditional and social media, and ensuring that the spirit of our coalition covenants are seen in state plans and institutions.
- In coordination with Campaign Director, ensure strong two-way communication from the field to the campaign working groups and steering committee.
- Keep abreast of current legislative and electoral news.
- Identify opportunities and foster relationships for effective coalition building.
- Supervise the coordination and execution of special events, including conferences, lobby days, and volunteer activist engagement events.
- Build a national outreach plan to identify and recruit grasstop supporters and link those to state leads and tables.
- Other duties as needed or directed by the Director.
- All employees of Hopewell Fund are required to complete timesheets.
Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Proven track record of running field programs for successful national or state electoral or issue campaigns
- Effective communication—orally and in writing
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively and effectively with staff and volunteers to accomplish program goals
- Strong technical and organizational skills
- Ability to think strategically, work independently and as a team member within deadlines, and prioritize work
- Strong national network of progressive partners and activists
- Experience working with diverse constituencies and a demonstrated commitment to racial and social justice
- Strong presentation and interpersonal skills
- Ability and willingness to travel, including to evening and weekend meetings
- Familiarity with and commitment to the values of comprehensive paid leave
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to djohnsonHRadviser@gmail.com
Paid Leave for All is a project of Hopewell Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. Hopewell Fund is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. Hopewell Fund’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.